THE INFRASTRUCTURAL NETWORK OF TEN-T CORE PORT OF TARANTO
APULIAN ROAD and RAIL NETWORKS
The Road Network extends to over 1.800 km.
The Railway Network is over 1.230 km long.
Both ensure good connections between towns and cities within the region, as well as to and from major market destinations.
APULIAN AIR TRAFFIC SECTOR
The Region has 3 passenger airports (Bari, Brindisi and Foggia) and 1 cargo airport (Taranto). Bari and Brindisi have international airports with regular connections to major Italian and European cities, as well as a number of international destinations. Taranto/Grottaglie is served by a cargo airport.
In the Region there are 2 major modern, purpose-built Freight Villages, where different types of transport are easily and efficiently combined to handle goods.
THE INFRASTRUCTURAL NETWORK OF THE PROVINCE OF MATERA
The road network has two main supporting axes: SS 407 “Basentana” and SS 106 “Ionica”. Both of them have 4 lanes, the latter being recently completely doubled. Those two roads have great importance because they present “modern” characteristics and an esteemed 60-80 hm/h average speed route. They cover the roads at the bottom of the valleys (SS 598 bottom of Agri valley, SS 653 “Sinnica” and SS 655 “Bradanica), the new SS 7 “Appia”, particularly the stretch of Ferrandina rail station – Matera and SS 99 Matera – Altamura, partly in Basilicata’s territory. Specifically, the roads SS 7, 99, 175 and 655 grant a fast connection between the area of Matera and the town of Matera in particolar, with the road SS 407 “Basentana”, with Bari, with the Jonian coast and the industrial area in Melfi respectively.
The regional infrastructural system includes:
• The Bradanic – Ionic – Salento road axis provides for the accomplishment of the provincial stretch of the “Bradanica” as well as the realization of a series of alternative routes aiming to a fast connection with the Metaponto through the readaptation of SS 175 and with the inland murgian areas through SS 7. The ultimate target is to make continuos the Bradanic Axis also towards the south-eastern area of the province.
• The Saurina – Basentana road intends to connect with each other the municipalities of Matera’s Mountains (Stigliano, S.Mauro Forte, Gorgoglione, Cirigliano, Garaguso, Salandra) by realizing a transversal axis connecting the Saurina road with the SS 407 Basentana and by building several transversal junction as well as a further stretch of the Cavonica.
• The accomplishment of the Cavonica road, a road which was planned for the municipalities of Matera’s Mountains whose route follows the bottom of the valleys of Salandrella brook and Cavone river. That road is working only between the SS 106 and the SP Tinchi – Montalbano.
• The transversal junction Agri Valley (SS 598) - SS 653 Sinnica (the so called “low transversal”) is going to be realized by accomplishment and modernization works of the SP 154 – 2nd section and by building a new bridge on the Agri river. By making provincial and modern the former road belonged to Tursi’s Orange – groves Irrigation Agency and by accomplishing the SS 176, the connection among the bottom of the valleys of Sinni, Agri and Basento.
In view o fan expansion of the connections among both the Province of Matera with its nearby municipalities, and the inland municipalities (Pisticci and Montalbano) with the jonian municipalities, the following accomplishment and readaption of th Provincial Roads were recently realized (or they are still realizing):
• Accomplishment of SP Matera – Gravina
• Accomplishment of SP Montescaglioso – Province of Matera
• Accomplishment of SP Pisticci – S. Basilio
• Readjustment of SP Montalbano Jonico – Scanzano Jonico
• Accomplishment of SS 103
The provincial territory is served by two National rail lines: Battipaglia – Potenza – Metaponto and Taranto – Metaponto – Sibari – Reggio Calabria. Those two lines go acrosso the provincial territory for 70 km and 35 km respectively. The line Battipaglia – Potenza – Metaponto should plug in, nearby the station of Ferrandina, the rail connection for Matera, that has been in course of construction since years and should then be estended up to Bari with the modernization and change of gauge of the current line (FAL) Matera - Altamura – Bari. That line is very important for Matera, even if it runs through the province for very few kilometres.
NEAREST PORT AND AIRPORT
The nearest commercial port is Taranto. Some tourist ports are also foreste on the jonian coast in order to develop this area, that has recently shown a rise in tourist presence also tank to the realisation of many and important receptive structures.
In order to support tourism in the Jonian area, it has been planned to realise the regional airport in the “Valbasento” by reactivating and reclassifying the air surface “E. Mattei” nearby Pisticci’s rail station. Nowadays, the nearest airports are Bari – Palese and Grottaglie.
THE INFRASTRUCTURAL NETWORK OF FERRANDINA AREA
The area is crossed by Basentana road and has a bunch of 2 binaries for receiving and delivering of trains and a bunch of operational binaries for load/upload operations. This rail infrastructure consent to interconnect Ferrandina both with Tyrrhenian and Adriatic railway backbone. Railway also connects Ferrandina with the Porto of Taranto.